Thursday, August 21, 2008

Is gun control really about race?

I doubt you'll hear the Illinois State Rifle Association raising these arguments in public, but this column by author Kristian Williams and activist Peter Little takes a look at the historical racial undertones of the gun control debate in America.

Talking About Guns, Fighting About Race is an eye-opener:
Truth is, there has always been gun control in America. Starting in the colonial period and continuing after the American Revolution, laws excluded specific people from gun ownership — slaves, free blacks, Indians, poor whites, non-Protestants and even some heterodox Protestant sects.

During the same period, militias — which never performed particularly well in military engagements — were chiefly responsible for putting down insurrections. And in the South, they were responsible for organizing slave patrols to police the black population.

After the Civil War, Southern states sought to preserve this tradition by instituting “black codes” that barred blacks from owning guns, land or businesses. At the same time, terrorist organizations like the Ku Klux Klan continued the work of the slave patrols, using violence to restrict blacks’ travel, suppress their political activity and disarm them.


And more recently...

In Watson v. Stone (1941), the Florida Supreme Court overturned the gun conviction of a white man. Justice Rivers Buford wrote in his concurring opinion: “The Act was passed for the purpose of disarming negro laborers. … [It] was never intended to be applied to the white population and in practice has never been so applied.”

A quarter century later, in 1967, California passed its Panther Law, with the specific aim of ending the Black Panthers’ armed patrols against police brutality.

White supremacy has refined its presentation since the civil rights period, relying increasingly on nominally colorblind laws. Yet many gun regulations — bans on guns in housing projects and laws that take the cheapest pistols off the market, for example — have continued to disproportionately affect people of color.

Concluding...

Many liberals trust the state to respect the rights of individuals and to protect them against crime and disorder. They see no role for private gun ownership under the rule of law.

Many conservatives retain some suspicion of government regulation and don’t believe the state capable of protecting decent law-abiding people. They see gun ownership both as an emblem of citizenship and as a protection against those they view as criminals — historically, blacks and, at present, immigrants.

The disagreement is over who should have guns.

The point of agreement is over who shouldn’t.

As presently construed, both the gun-control and the gun-rights arguments — that is, both the liberal and the conservative positions — represent the defense of white supremacy.

Like I said, you won't hear the Illinois State Rifle Association making this argument. But logically I have to concede that if a white man has a constitutional right to protect his family and his home, so does a black man, even if he was convicted of some unrelated crime. Especially if that crime neither involved a gun nor was violent.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Burkdaddy said...

Part of the reason we've not been invaded is that we have the best armed populace in the world.

300 Million potentially armed civillians who can melt in to a city scene or ocuntry side that they know intimately, is something to deter any enemy force. It's been that way from the beginning.

I don't want sex offendors or violent offenders to have guns. I don't care what color they are. I'm white. My wife is not. Our children are mixxed. I'm color blind and proud of it.

Our legislative branch and Civil rights busy bodies are using this as a reason to explain their existance. It's tiresome and old at best. It's NOT about race. It's about my right to put a bullet in your head if you're in my house, uninvited and too close to my two daughters. NO law will prevent me from doing just that. And you know what? I won't wait to see what color your skin is. Nor will I apologize after the fact.

I just want the rules even all across the board. Criminals wave their rights when they commit the crime. Perhaps, depending on severity, we could concede a progam where they could regain the right to a weapon. I'll meet you in the middle.

My two cents.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yellow Dog,

My name is Gabrielle Rosas. I am a journalism student at Columbia College Chicago. Sorry this is the only way I could contact you. I tried e-mailing you but the e-mail didn't go through for whatever reason. Anyways, I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about the Nowotny mailer controversy. I would love the opinion of an Uptown resident and you seem to be politically inclined. Please reply to this comment or e-mail me back at gabrielle.rosas@loop.colum.edu. Thanks so much.

12:02 PM  
Blogger werwer said...

Office 2019 Crack ultimately arrived up by having an official edition. It's arrive having a large introduction of cloud storage and software and an outlook of products and desktops. Office 365 has actually been implemented to help you users use all of these services through cloud storage,

11:26 AM  
Blogger xichging s said...

I generally like the blog and I really respect your content.
Hi there, the whole thing is going nicely here and ofcourse every one
is sharing information, genuinely good.Thanks
musicbrainz picard crack
microsoft office 365 crack
syncios data recovery crack
tweakbit pcrepairkit crack

1:22 AM  
Blogger Sabir Hussain said...


You have a great site, but I wanted to know if you know.
Any community forum dedicated to these topics.
What was discussed in this article? I really want to be a part of it.
A society in which I can obtain information from others with knowledge and interest.
Let us know if you have any suggestions. I appreciate this!
weather watcher live crack
isobuster crack
bytefence crack
videopad video editor crack

10:27 PM  
Blogger Hafeez Shah said...

This is a good time to think about the future and be happy because now is the best time.
I just read it and wanted to give you some advice on things that might interest you.
You can write more articles based on this.
It fascinates me and I want to know more!
itools crack
tweakbit driver updater
jriver media center crack
movavi video suite crack

9:24 PM  
Blogger Crack Market said...


You have a great site, but I wanted to know if you know.
Any community forum dedicated to these topics.
What was discussed in this article? I really want to be a part of it.
A society in which I can obtain information from others with knowledge and interest.
Let us know if you have any suggestions. I appreciate this!

priprinter professional crack
priprinter professional crack
priprinter professional crack
priprinter professional crack
priprinter professional crack
priprinter professional crack
priprinter professional crack
priprinter professional crack
priprinter professional crack

8:41 PM  
Blogger Ismail said...

Your website is fantastic. The colors and theme are fantastic.
Are you the one who created this website? Please respond as soon as possible because I'd like to start working on my project.
I'm starting my blog and I'm curious as to where you got this from or what theme you're using.
Thank you very much!
twitter for windows 10 crack
windows server 2016 crack activation key
airserver crack
genymotion crack

3:20 AM  
Blogger MURSALEEN said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:27 AM  
Blogger MURSALEEN said...


I wonder if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to write your articles by hand.
HTML coding book required.
I start right away.
I want to create a blog soon, but I know nothing about coding, so I need some information.
from history to real life.
Thanks for all the help you can give.
enjoy good luck!
du meter crack
office 2019 product key generator
driver toolkit license key crack
parallels desktop crack
reason crack

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I am the only one who came here to share my very own experience. Guess what!? I am using my laptop for almost the past 2 years, but I had no idea of solving some basic issues. I do not know how to Easy to Direct Download All Software But thankfully, I recently visited a website named vstpirate
Driver Toolkit Pro Crack

7:28 AM  
Blogger Ahmad Sheikh said...


Enjoyed reading the article down, really explains everything in detail, the article is very interesting and effective.
Thank you and good luck in the upcoming articles

serato dj pro crack
movavi video suite crack
apowersoft watermark remover crack
pdf xchange editor plus crack
snagit crack
imyfone lockwiper crack
vovsoft hide files crack
es computing editplus crack
terabyte drive image backup crack
blufftitler ultimate crack
msi wrapper pro crack
nch drawpad pro crack

12:42 PM  
Blogger pro crack work said...

Wow, what a useful tool. Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge. Do keep us informed.
jriver media center crack
masstube plus crack
iexplorer crack
daemon tools pro crack

7:41 AM  
Blogger Tehreem said...

I am grateful. great work
My experience has been quite favorable.
https://holgaddiction.blogspot.com/2021/08/pro-tools-free-download-full-version.html
https://unhasmilenares.blogspot.com/2021/06/download-free-idm-free-free-idm-serial.html
https://pamietnik-kity-girl.blogspot.com/2021/07/aktivasi-office-2010-jika-anda.html
https://entertainmentrroyalty.blogspot.com/2021/05/internet-download-manager-windows-10-64.html

11:30 AM  
Blogger Saim Alam said...

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.guitar rig 6 crack

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home